Sunday, January 13, 2008

All I REALLY wanted for Christmas was a new Thesaurus


Take a look a this pathetic looking Thesaurus. Yes, it's mine and there is certainly no doubt I've gotten my money's worth. I'm not sure how old it is, but an educated guess dates it to around 1975. Sorry to say, I still use it. As you can see from the picture, it has no front or back cover, the binding is way past the point of taping, and the top pages are yellowed with age.

Every year I put a "new Thesaurus" on my Christmas wish list. And every year... it's zippa-zotta-notta one-a person buys it for me. It's the absolute "cheapest" item I put on my Christmas list. I just don't get it.

Obviously I can afford to buy a new one myself, but it simply never occurs to me when I'm out and about. It's only when I pull it off my bookshelf and shuffle through the mangled, unbound pages that I remember I need to buy a new one.

So here's my New's Year resolution....

There comes a point when you must say good-by to a long-time loyal companion, especially a companion that is on their last leg of life's journey... a companion who begs to be put out of their misery and buried with dignity. So, that is what I will do. I will bury my long-time companion, my devoted Thesaurus. I am saddened by my friend's departure. My dear friend has been at my side for a host of writing endeavors including college papers, a thesis, articles, newsletters, and even wedding vows . But alas, there is hope, I just did a Google search and find that Staples has a Thesaurus for a mere $7.50.

No comments: