Friday, March 28, 2008

Soap Motivates Weight Loss

"Blocks of Soap Motivates Woman to Lose Weight". Reads like a headline on the cover of a tabloid magazine. In this case, the headline reads true.

For most of my adult life I've been fit, trim and worked out at the gym regularly. I was a perfect size 6. The key word here is WAS. When middle age hit and all the hormones went wacky I was suddenly thurst into the battle of the bulge.

For a number of years I've been telling myself I need to lose weight. My intentions are good but I never follow through and every year I add a few more pounds. I never step on a scale unless it's at my annual physical. Well, last week I was forced to step on a scale and was shocked. Certainly that scale wasn't calibrated properly.

A few days later while cutting and weighing blocks of soap I had an epiphany. All those neatly stacked soap blocks equaled the same number of overweight pounds I was carrying. It was a frightening thought. No, let me rephrase that. It was a horrifying thought. In that epiphany moment, I visualized that enormous mound of soap as my body fat. Suddenly that soap became my motivator and I immediately committed myself to losing these middle age pounds. The treadmill has come out of storage and my eating habits are being revised.

I will be posting a weekly blog progess report in the hopes it will give me added incentive to stay on track. My goal is quite realistic. Two to three pounds a week. I hope you'll cheer me on.

Here are the results for Week One.

As you can see, I have a long way to go. The amount I lost this week pales in comparison to what I need to lose. I start excerising on the treadmill tomorrow to step up my metabolism to a fat burning level so I can burn additional calories. Not sure where I will fit this routine into my hectic day, but where there's a will, there's a way!





No comments: