Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Is Your Competition Playing by the Rules?


This statue of Hercules and Diomedes has been on display in our home for many years. We've never given much thought to it. It was a sculpture my husband picked up on one of his trips to Florence, Italy. In fact, we use it as door stop from time to time. However, this week I was reminded of its presence when my 7-year old grandson happened to take note of it.

Of course, he quickly pointed out the obvious and questioned why someone would grasp "private parts" in such a manner. It gave pause for consideration and the best answer I could muddle through was "Not everyone plays by the rules". Certainly, for us adults, there is some humor to be noted in this famous sculpture. Clearly one wrestler is in trouble. However, he elects to "not play by the rules". He is strategically positioned and can walk away victorious. End of story!

You know, business is much the same. Just when you've done all the legwork, poured your heart and soul into developing your business, you find that your competition, or even customers, don't play by the rules. Someone sabotoges your work, recreates your packaging, slams you on a message board, duplicates a design, reprints your copyrighted work.... the list goes on. Is it fair? Of course not. But this is life. Life has never been fair and there will always be those who don't play by the rules. Get use to it. That's the best advice I can give and the same advice I gave my grandson.

I have always been a firm believer that "what goes round, comes round". It's a principle of life that has proven to be true over and over again. Do what you know is right. It will pay off in the end. To those that "don't play by the rules", it will ultimately be your demise. I prefer to play by the rules. I'm convinced that when I do, good things will happen. Maybe I've seen too many "good guy, bad guy" movies with my grandson, but I'm a firm believer that good will always prevail when you do what you know (in your heart of hearts) is right.


No comments: