Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Life Can Change in a Heartbeat

It is with much sadness that I write this post. Those of you following our Face Book page know that I returned from vacation facing devastating news. The letter below from my daughter explains the issues affecting our family.

I am very close to my son-in-law's family. They have been a part of my life for over 20 years. My daughter married Matthew 10 years ago after a courtship dating back to 8th grade. There is plenty of history and the fact that our families live just miles apart makes that bond even closer.

Blog posts may be minimal for the remainder of the summer as I try to help my daughter and son-in-law through this crisis. Someone needs to watch their kids as they donate time & pitch in wherever and whenever necessary. I will be placing soaping projects on hold until the Fall unless Sophie Soap Chick is able to assist.

For those of faith, I ask for your prayers. In just a heartbeat life has changed for our family.

My Daughter's Letter:

I would first like to thank everyone who has been praying for my brother in law. We all know that prayer can produce miracles…. And that is exactly what we need right now. I wanted to give you an update of what happened and his progress:

On Saturday evening, J**** was playing with the kids at the lake. He ran off the end of the dock to do a back flip (one that he has done a million times) and for some reason, he didn’t make it fully around. He hit his head on the bottom of the lake. He was conscious through the whole event. He knew he was under water, but couldn't move to get air. He was stabilized in the water until the paramedics arrived and taken to U of M knowing that this is where he would get the best care. He underwent surgery for his C5 and C6 vertebrae at 11:45 p.m. on Saturday. The surgery was completed at about 4:30 a.m. on Sunday. The doctor said that the surgery went well and only time would tell his recovery.

Since then, he has feeling in his legs and feet, but no movement. He can move arms, but has very minimal movement in right hand and no movement in his left. He is alert and in good spirits. He will see the physical therapist for the first time this afternoon to start his therapy. He has a very long road ahead.

Family is looking at how to make J****’s house handicap accessible. We are thinking that he will be able to come home in about 6 weeks. The occupational therapist must approve his home to make this happen. He currently lives in a two story home with a top upper lever bedroom and bathroom. We are looking at different options so that he can reenter his home in the most "normal" setting possible.

J***’s wife has been a rock for him. I ask that you pray for her strength too. They have only been married for three years! She will need a lot of support to stay positive. We have a very strong, tight family. They will do whatever necessary to provide support.

I appreciate all your prayers. We have no control over this situation. It has been placed at the feet of our Savior.

I will give updates to my mom to pass along as they come.
-------------------------

To my blog followers and FB peeps, I thank you for your loyalty to our company. My staff will continue to process orders as usual. The only difference will be the time spent in the social media arena. I appreciate your understanding as our families work through this life changing situation.

3 comments:

T.A. Helton said...

Your whole family is in my prayers right now.

TNT RACE PHOTOS said...

My sister had a bad injury due to a atv accident where one of her disk had to be removed from her neck and then fused together. At first she was not able to move one side of her body but time went by and phyical therapy she can move she is not parlized and she can walk and move around but with a limp. Unforanatly people get older and think they can still do stuff that they did when they were younger and bad things bound to happen. Prayers sent to you and your family.

Denise said...

Thanks for the prayers and encouragement. We are truly hoping for the best over time. Each day has shown promising news on the recovery end. Only time will tell the extend of the injury and it's long term effects.